Monday, October 30, 2017

About Last Month

I know I stated that I wanted to be active on my blog again but what happened was... I gave birth last month to my second baby boy! That was September 2, 2017, 3:45 AM to be exact. 

So here's the story... Since my last checkup on August 28, 2017, I was already 4 cm dilated, and I know I could give birth soon (but I was really hoping for Mama Mary's birthday, September 8). I've been monitoring my contractions through an app (very helpful) and I was determine to bear the pain as much as I can. It was because I didn't want to spend a long labor at the hospital without any food or drinks, which was what I experienced with my firstborn. I couldn't stand the pain of labor and stomachache which lead me to asked for an epidural. I would have preferred a natural birth the last time if not for the additional pain due to an empty stomach. 

I stayed at home walking and exercising (and eating and drinking) until the late night of September 1 when the contractions were getting intense already. We arrived at the Premier Medical Center at about midnight. When the doctor checked me, I was already at 7 cm. Wow! So I was taken to the labor room where I was given something that made me fall asleep while my husband was filling up forms, making a deposit, and looking for a room. I wasn't sure how long I slept but I woke up in pain. The contractions were very very very intense. So they brought me to the delivery room where I met my doctor and told me that my waterbag already broke and that I was about to give birth already. The contractions that time were unbearable and I couldn't handle taking a big breath. My impulse were to push and I did but I still tried breathing in and out like what the doctors and nurses told me. I remember that I kept on asking for water because my mouth and throat were so dry but they only give my ice chips and I hated that it could not satisfy me. 

Finally, I heard them say that my husband is already with us. I was still drowsy but I heard them give instruction to my husband that he cannot take video, only pictures. Then, my OB told me to start pushing. I pushed four times and the baby was out! It was a boy! I can't believe that I endured giving birth without any anesthesia. But then again I must just be crazy and brave. Hehehe! I honestly don't know what happened next because I fell asleep again. My husband told me that they did the "Unang Yakap" just like what I wanted and that they made my baby breastfeed on me. Good thing he had pictures of that moment so I was very happy.



I woke up in the recovery room with the nurse trying to teach me how to breastfeed and how to make my newborn latch properly. That moment was so amazing for me! I desperately wanted to breastfeed my firstborn before but because Unang Yakap wasn't done I wasn't able to establish breastfeeding with him. I just loved that breastfeeding was required for this birth and my family supported me with this. Since he was roomed in with me, I was able to nurse him within the first 24 hours of his life. 

Our family already visited us that afternoon to see the latest member. My firstborn was very much excited to see his little brother, Noah Alonzo, and I could be happier!

No comments: